"Johnny and Mary" is a song written by Robert Palmer and was recorded in 1980 at Compass Point Studios, New Providence, in the Bahamas. The song was featured on Palmer's album Clues (1980). "Johnny and Mary" only went to #44 on the UK Singles Chart, but did reach #18 on Billboard's Club Play Singles chart. In Germany, it peaked at #7 on the singles chart and spent a total of 23 weeks in the Top 20.
"Johnny and Mary" was used as the signature tune in advertisements promoting Renault cars throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Early adverts used Palmer's original version, while a range of special recordings in different styles were produced during the 1990s; most famously Martin Taylor's acoustic interpretation which he released on his album Spirit of Django. Taylor recorded alternate versions for Renault; the last being in 1998 for the launch of the all-new Renault Clio.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||20|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||10|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||6|
|Canada (RPM 50 Singles)||32|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||21|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||27|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|South African Chart||5|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||44|
|US BillboardHot Dance Club Play||18|
Cover versions[edit source | edit]Edit
- A German-language version, "Johnny und Mary", was released by Anthony Monn
- A French-language version, "Johnny et Marie", was released by Marie Léonor
- German band The Notwist covered the song on their 1993 EP Johnny And Mary.
- Status Quo covered the song for their 1996 album Don't Stop
- The track was also covered by British rock band Placebo as a B-side to their 2000 single "Taste in Men" and on their 2003 album Covers
- A dance cover of the song by Nicole Jackson was released through Almighty Records in 2003
- A cover in Swiss German is on the 2008 album Haubi Songs of Züri West
- A French band Nouvelle Vague recorded their version with a Polish singer Ania on the Polish edition of their 2009 album 3. The song was also included on the deluxe edition of Ania's 2010 album Ania Movie.
- German band Wir sind Helden recorded a cover in 2011
- Other artists who have covered the song include Leigh Jaeger, Tina Turner, Ellen Foley and Melissa Manchester