The Marvelettes original[edit source | edit]Edit
History[edit source | edit]Edit
Written and produced by Smokey Robinson, the single peaked in the United States in spring 1967 at number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart and at number two on the Billboard soul chart. The song is written in the first person, from the point of view of someone who has "laid such a tender trap" to catch a lover. Lead singer Wanda Young-Rogers (wife of Miracles member Bobby Rogers) talks about how she had been stalking her lover, having to learn his "ways and habits" so she could plan how to catch him. But "certain things rearrange" and she finds herself caught, presumably, in love with her 'game.'
Personnel[edit source | edit]Edit
- Lead vocals by Wanda Young-Rogers
- Background vocals by Gladys Horton, Katherine Anderson, and The Andantes: Jackie Hicks, Marlene Barrow, and Louvain Demps
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
Chart positions[edit source | edit]Edit
|Billboard Hot 100||13|
Grace Jones version[edit source | edit]Edit
|"The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game"|
|Single by Grace Jones|
|from the album Warm Leatherette|
|B-side||"Sinning", "Warm Leatherette"|
|Genre||Pop, New Wave, disco|
|Producer||Chris Blackwell, Alex Sadkin|
|Grace Jones singles chronology|
Jamaican singer Grace Jones covered "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" on Warm Leatherette in 1980, her first post-disco album. It was also released as the lead single in the USA and the fourth in the UK.
Track listing[edit source | edit]Edit
- U.S. 7" Single
- A. "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" – 3:49
- B. "Sinning" – 5:06
- EU 7" Single
- A. "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" (LP Version) – 3:50
- B. "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" – 3:20
- UK 12" Single
- A. "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" (Long Version) – 6:43
- B. "Warm Leatherette" (Long Version) – 5:36
Chart performance[edit source | edit]Edit
|United States (R&B Singles)||87|
Other cover versions[edit source | edit]Edit
The song has been covered by a number of contemporary recording artists, including:
- Len Barry for his 1967 album My Kind of Soul.
- Barbara McNair recorded a version of the song for her 1968 Motown album The Real Barbara McNair.
- Ella Fitzgerald on Ella in 1969.
- The Miracles finally recorded their own cover version of the song on their 1970 album, One Dozen Roses.
- Jerry Garcia on Compliments in 1974, as "When the Hunter Gets Captured by the Game". Also covered occasionally in concert by Jerry Garcia Band.
- Gospel singer Candi Staton recorded a version on the Warner Bros. label in 1980.
- Blondie, on The Hunter in 1982.
- Anna Domino on her first album Anna Domino in 1986.
- Massive Attack, with Tracey Thorn of Everything but the Girl on vocals, on the Batman Forever soundtrack in 1995.
- Caesar during their Motown flashback concerts.
- Nedelle Torrisi performed the song live in 2007.
- Brendan Benson recorded a rough cover version of the song for his MySpace page.