"Fade into You" was the highest charting song from alternative rock/dream pop group Mazzy Star. The song was written by lyricist Hope Sandoval and composerDavid Roback, who also served as producer. The song made the Top 5 of Billboard's Modern Rock chart in 1994, peaking at number three, and is Mazzy Star's only single to make the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #44. The song also charted at #48 on the UK Singles Chart.
It appeared on Mazzy Star's album So Tonight That I Might See, which reached #36 on the Billboard 200. The group had two other songs make the Modern Rock Top 40, ("Halah" and "Blue Flower") but they did not approach the success of "Fade Into You".
Music videos[edit source | edit]
Two music videos were completed for "Fade Into You." The first was directed by Merlyn Rosenberg and premiered on MTV in late October 1993, several weeks after the album's release. It features the band performing in front of a projection depicting white clouds in a black sky, and is interlaced with slow-motion footage of the band in various locales in the Mojave Desert. Portions of this video were filmed at the same location U2 shot the artwork for The Joshua Tree. A second music video was directed by Kevin Kerslake and first aired in February 1994. Known as the Black and White version for its mono-chromic content throughout, the intentionally grainy, distorted footage shows the band performing in a darkened Burlesque-era ballroom, and is interspersed with footage of Sandoval and Roback at various sites aroundSan Francisco, including the All Seasons Hotel (now the Crescent Hotel) and neighboring Stockton Street tunnel, coupled with genuine footage of the same sites shot in the 1930s. Only the latter music video was broadcast internationally.
Tracklistings[edit source | edit]
All songs written and composed by Hope Sandoval and David Roback, except where noted.
|"Fade Into You"
MENU 0:00 Album version, as it appeared on So Tonight That I Might See----
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Charts[edit source | edit]
|UK Singles Chart||48|
|U.S. BillboardHot 100||44|
|U.S. BillboardModern Rock Tracks||3|
|U.S. BillboardTop 40 Mainstream||19|
Covers and tributes[edit source | edit]
|||This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2013)|
- A remake of this song was done by the band Run Run Run, and was later remixed by Z-Trip.
- A version by Nena is on her cover album Cover Me.
- A cover version of the song by Natalie Wilde was on the 2006 film Dreamland.
- A version by Flickerstick is on their live album Causing a Catastrophe.
- Finnish rock band HIM has performed the song live.
- David Bazan of the now-defunct band Pedro the Lion has performed the song live.
- Richard X samples the song in "Into U" on his album Richard X Presents His X-Factor Vol. 1
- UK electronic artists Slab recorded a version of Fade Into You on the album Ripsnorter (1999).
- UK artist Emmy The Great included a cover version of the song on the re-release of her 2011 album Virtue
- A cover version by Stumbleine featuring Steffaloo in 2012
- A cover version by the Cookie Monster can be found on YouTube
- A cover version by Kelly Clarkson can be found on youtube
In popular culture[edit source | edit]
In film[edit source | edit]
- The song was featured in the film Starship Troopers.
- The song was featured in the film Angus, yet somehow failed to appear on the soundtrack album.
- The song was featured in the 1998 film Break Up.
- The unabridged song was featured in a montage sequence in Guy Ritchie's 2002 film Swept Away.
- The song was featured in the 2005 film Lord of War, starring Nicolas Cage.
- The song was featured in the 2010 films Velodromo and Burlesque, starring Christina Aguilera and Cher.
- The song was featured in the 2012 films End of Watch and Chasing Mavericks.
In television[edit source | edit]
- "Fade Into You" has appeared in four different episodes of CSI: Miami.
- The track was used in an episode of Roswell titled "Baby, It's You".
- It featured in the Without a Trace episode "Sons and Daughters".
- The song appeared in the episode "Wishing" of Cold Case.
- The song also appeared in "You Give Me Fever", the tenth episode of the sixth season of Medium.
- It was used in a season one episode of Gilmore Girls entitled "Rory's Dance".
- The song appeared in the "Pilot" of Desperate Housewives.
- It was featured in the season 4 episode "Ice" of Alias.
- The song also appeared in the ninth episode of the fifth season of CSI: NY.
- The song was used in the third episode of NBC's Love Bites.
- It appeared in the seventh episode ("Wallflower") of the fourth season of Fringe.
- The song was played in the fourth episode of My Mad Fat Diary.
- The song appeared on season 1, episode 5 of Daria.
- The song was featured in the fourth episode of The Following season 1.
- The song was featured in season 1 of Yellowjackets 2021.